Introduction: Turn Ordinary Appliances to Wifi Controlable IOT
Hey Guys, hope you're doing well
introducing the "IOT Anything", a device that turns any electrical appliances that are plugged into the wall into WiFi controllable. How it works is it opens and closes the connection from the device to the wall outlet, as simple as that, and you can manipulate its connection from the internet, so you are now able to control the device's ON & OFF from your phone, tablet, etc
Now one thing to keep in mind is that this works well with devices that are simple and functions immediately once connected to power, for example :
- Table Lamp (Should have an on and off switch not a touch switch)
- Water Heater
Things like this performs simple functions so it does its job once its connected to power :)
And not things that require further human decision making and stuff, for example :
- Computer (unless you want to force shutdown :v )
Things like these will not work immediately once its connected to the wall, it requires further actions from you the user.
Step 1: How to Make
- Node MCU
- 2 Wall Outlet (for compact size i prefer 1 cordless and another one with cord and plug)
For the wired outlet extender, i choose the one with just 1 hole or 2 so that the final product will be much more compact.
(follow the schematic)
The building process might take a little while but the idea is very simple, we first take a wired outlet extender and cut open the cord to reveal the 2 cables inside, cut one cable and connect it to the relay. And then connect the relay to the Node MCU and run the code, that's it. But i connected another outlet extender, the T-shaped cordless outlet extender to the plug of the first outlet extender so that other devices can use the wall outlet too.
You can know which pins to connect to the Node MCU board from the code and you can change which pins to use according to your needs.
Node MCU Code
You can download the code i linked there, or go to my gitHub page here documenting the build
This is actually a part of a bigger project in my gitHub called "NodeMCU-Blynk "
Step 2: How to Use
- Before you upload your code, change the ssid and password in the code to your home network ssid and password, then upload your code to the board.
- Connect the Appliance power cable plug to the outlet extender in our "IOT Anything" device that have gone through to the relay.
- Then Connect the device to the wall and wait a minute or two for the Node MCU to power up and to connect to your home network
- Open up internet browser and go to the IP address http://192.168.1.109/ (You can change the ip address in the code :)
- Now you should be able to turn on and off the appliance from the buttons in link in the browser (By the way you should switch the appliance to On so that the on and off will be controlled by out "IOT Anything" device instead)
Step 3: You Are Done
Congratulations on building your "IOT Anything" device, i hope it works well for you.
kindly vote this project for the "remote control" contest and visit my GitHub page for more technical resources for the project.