There is some cutting, drilling and bending of metal involved, but no welding. It took me about an afternoon to finish.
(The picture shows the first BBQ I made, because the second one hasn't been used yet.)
Step 1: Gather your raw materials
You'll want the sink(s) to be more or less in the middle; a bit off center is acceptable, you can adjust for that.
This is a suitable countertop. It's on the thin side but it'll do. These are very easy and cheap to acquire in the Netherlands.
You will need:
- steel countertop with two sinks
- two planks
- screws to attach the planks
- nuts and bolts (stainless steel is best)
- grid or mesh for below the coals, can be low-quality
- griddle for the food to be grilled on, needs to be foodsafe; stainless or chromed if you can get it
- gloves (sharp edges!), ear and eye protection
- saw for metal, or an angle grinder
- pliers or wrenches for bending
- wire cutters for the grid or mesh
- paint scraper