• @: The @ sign is used to call out usernames in Tweets, like this: Hello @Twitter! When a username is preceded by the @ sign, it becomes a link to a Twitter profile. This is referred to as tagging.
• Follow: To follow someone on Twitter means to subscribe to their tweets on the site.
• Hashtag: A hashtag involves putting a # symbol in front of a word to make it as a keyword or topic within a tweet.
• Lists: Lists are groups of other Twitter users used to tie specific individuals into a group on your Twitter account. These lists are displayed on the right side of your homepage.
• Retweet: Retweet (or retweeting) is the act of forwarding another user’s tweets to all of your followers.
• Tweet: A message posted via Twitter containing 140 characters or fewer.
Step 1: Making a Twitter Account
A. Go to www.twitter.com. This will take you to the Twitter home page.
B. Find the yellow SIGN UP button and click it.
C. Your browser will take you to the JOIN THE CONVERSATION page. Fill out the Full name, Username, Password, and Email fields. Once you have finished, click CREATE MY ACCOUNT.
Note C.1: When choosing a Username, make sure to keep it professional.
Rather than 2Qt4U, we strongly suggest a combination of your name/birthday
(for example: JSmith05)
Note C.2: Under the CREATE MY ACCOUNT button, there is a checkbox that
says “I want the inside scoop- please send me email updates.” If you DO
NOT want to be emailed by Twitter, you should uncheck this box now.
D. Once you have clicked CREATE MY ACCOUNT, you will receive a pop up box that asks you to type a couple of words. Type the words you see, and then click FINISH.
Note D.1: Once you have created your Twitter account, you will receive an
email, at the address you provided, asking you to confirm your account.
Follow the steps in the email to make sure that your account is confirmed.
E. Twitter will then take you to the first of three steps to finish. If you would like, you may complete these three steps, but for the sake of this tutorial, we will have you skip them. Now, CLICK the Twitter logo at the top of the page (it will take you to your home page).