Introduction: Wrist-Mounted Flamethrower Mk. 2: Dual-Stage Liquid Fuel
Truth be told, I've always wanted to shoot fire out of my hands. Because who wouldn't? This is the second wrist-mounted flamethrower I've made to help come one step closer to that dream. If you're interested in my Mk. 1 Wrist-Mounted Flamethrower, feel free to check it out here: https://www.instructables.com/id/Wrist-Mounted-Flamethrower/.
Step 1: Demonstration
I was really happy with the results of my the first tests. Everything worked as it was supposed to, which is a rarity with any project. Enjoy!
Step 2: Explanation Video
In this video, I briefly explain how the entire system works. After watching, head to the next step for pictures and a written explanation.
Step 3: The Build: Stage 1
Palm: The palm portion was made using scrap metal recovered from old appliances, and thin brass tubing that can be found at most hardware or hobby stores. Stainless steel wire was used as the electrodes for the spark ignition. The whole assembly was largely held together using JB Weld.
Wrist: This section was made from steel and aluminum bar stock, cut appropriately, and held together using rivets, threaded rod and nuts. The butane tank is stored here, which was taken from a barbecue lighter. The mechanism was designed specific for my hand/wrist, and so measurements would change from person to person.
Step 4: The Build: Stage 2
An aluminum water bottle was purchased at the local dollar store to be used as our fuel tank. Holes were drilled so that a tire valve could be placed on one end, and a solenoid valve on the other side. The cap is unscrewed, and denatured alcohol is poured in the bottle, then closed and pressurized with an air compressor to about 30psi. The solenoid valve began to fail at around 40psi, and so 30 was about as high as the system could be pressurized to run tests safely.
Step 5: Conclusion
I'm very satisfied with how this project turned out. Somehow by making the flamethrower more dangerous by using liquid fuel, I managed to test it with less burnt hair than my Mk. 1 flamethrower. I've added pictures of the final state of all of the major parts.
Thank you for reading! Also, in case you didn't know, I like comments! : )