Introduction: Upgrade Solar Keychain Flashlight With Supercapacitor
* Este proyecto tambien esta disponible en Español haciendo clic aqui
There are several online and retail stores where is available a kind of small LED flashlights, they are rechargeable by solar energy. There are reports of prices around 1 USD/EUR/GBP depending on the country. However, all aren’t good news, some bloggers reported that many aren’t rechargeable at all, because they were equipped with disposable CR2016 batteries, or with damaged solar panels, unsoldered or simply fake solar panels.
The most common fail of this type of flashlight is battery undercharge (usually when stored for long periods in dark places like pockets or drawers) . This damage isn't reversible, but the case, push button and the solar panel could be reused to make a "more durable" solar flashlight
For more info, please visit: Absolutelyautomation.com
Step 1: REQUIRED COMPONENTS
Here is the list for the required components for this project with the absolute lowst prices! If tou find something cheaper somewhere, please msg me!
- Damaged solar keychain flashlight but with real and good condition solar panel.( http://goo.gl/knBffy )
- 5.5V 1F or bigger supercapacitor that fits inside flashligt case. ( http://goo.gl/MVvCk9 )
- Red LED,100 pieces pack. ( http://goo.gl/uTq9HB )
- Schottky diode. ( http://goo.gl/SmVJVP )
- 5.1 V Zener diode. ( http;//goo.gl/m68Cou )
- Optional two green and one red LEDs (instead of the 5.1 V Zener diode ) ( http://goo.gl/QyUU14 )
- 220 ohm resistor. ( http://goo.gl/Cxt7sV )
- Plastic spudger or pry tool. ( http://goo.gl/xtmm7m )
Step 2: OPEN THE CASE AND GRAB THE USEFUL THINGS
With the help of a spudger or a pry tool open the case and desolder the solar panel and push button.
Step 3: MAKE SOME SPACE FOR SUPERCAP
Cut super capacitor terminals, as much as possible, but leaving some space to solder a thin wire.
Scrap some plastic from the case, to give more room for the super capacitor.
Step 4: BUILD THE PCB
Bake your favorite flavor of pcb (Etched, universal, Manhattan, ratnest). Be careful placing the push button and the Red led, because the case could't be closed or the button pressed!
Two versions of the circuit are provided, use whatever you like
Step 5: SOLDER, ISOLATE, CLOSE & CHARGE
Solder the supercapacitor and solar panel to the PCB with very thin enameled wire. Put some kapton tape to avoid short circuits between metallic exposed parts.
Close the case and charge for at least a day near a window.
for more info, please visit: Absolutelyautomation.com
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.