The coil cable I use here is the super cheap kind from your local 99c store. I don't know if the cables inside the more expensive versions from Radioshack are any better, but these wires are quite bad and messy to solder.
The other (more expensive) option would be to order a 4 conductor custom spiral coil cable from: http://www.cablescience.com/ and ask if they offer shielded coil cables. Although I'm not sure how necessary this is, especially over short distances.
Step 1: Materials and Tools
- USB cable from your stash or local electronics store
- Spiral/Coil telephone cable from local 99c store
- Shrink tubing / liquid tape
- Wire cutters
- Wire strippers
- Soldering iron and solder
Step 2: Cutting and stripping
Select the length of coil cable that you want for this connection and also cut and strip this as seen in the pictures.
Step 3: Soldering
BEFORE you solder all the wires together two important things:
- Cut your pieces of shrink tubing and put them on the wires first!
- Once you have soldered one end, make sure that you connect the same colours to the same colours at the other rend too!
One thing that I forgot here is to add another piece of big heat shrink tubing BEFORE soldering so that I can over all the individual cables and truly link the two (USB and coil cable) together --> strain relief!!!