Introduction: Ultimate Egg and Toast | Eggs Baked in Bread With a Parmesan Crust
If you really want to impress your friends and family then you should give this super simple recipe a try, it couldn't be easier and its all about the runny yolk when you cut into the bread roll coupled with the crunch of the parmesan crust.
To make this you probably already have all the ingredients in your kitchen already:
- Bread rolls, even day old bread works well for this because the egg and process of baking in the oven brings new life into the bread roll. En fact the crust works even better when it is dried out a little. You could even give baking your own bread ago, its really fun and satisfying.
- Eggs, of course, the size depends on how big your bread rolls are but typically you want a large egg per bread roll.
- Cheddar cheese, I like extra mature but you can use your favourite type, you want the 'melt factor'
- Parmesan cheese, you could use any hard cheese, this is for the crust topping - Grana Padano or Pecorino Romano also work well.
- A splash of olive oil and ground pepper
Step 1: Method
Once you have the ingredients it is so easy to put together all you need is serrated knife and a cheese grater, a baking tray and a piece of foil.
- Cut the top of you bread roll off, literally just the top
- With the tip of your knife cut a small piece of the inside of the bread out
- With your fingers, hollow out the bread roll, be careful not to tear the edge of the bread as this will mean the egg will leak out and you will be left with a eggy mess
- Crack your eggs into your hollowed out bread rolls
- Grate some of you cheddar cheese on top of you bread rolls filled with egg
- In a bowl, tear up your bread that you pulled out of you bread roll and grate in some parmesan cheese or any other hard cheese to your liking, add a splash of olive oil and mix together with a few grinds of black pepper - you'll need around 1 tablespoon of parmesan for each roll, if you want more though, add more.
- Top your rolls with the bread and parmesan mixture and cover with foil
- Put this in the oven at 180 degrees celsius for 15 minutes
- Remove foil and bake for a further 5 minutes to crisp up the crust and finish baking the eggs to give that delicious runny yolk
If you don't like runny yolks then bake for an extra 5 minutes with the foil on.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.