Introduction: Ultimate Recicled Parts 3D Printer
To make this proyect I have relied on AxiDraw Plotter, changing it to print on 3D.
First, this printer was born as a CNC Plotter(I used a CD reader for Z axis).
Secondly, I installed a more powerful motor as Z axis and I added a hot end. That was the first version which print dimensions were 180mm, 140mm and 35mm (X,Y,Z). As you can see, the Z axis had little travel but works it!
With it I printed the whole pieces for the second version.
This second version has a print dimension of 127 mm, 140 mm and 120 mm (X, Y, Z). I usually use 40mm/s print speed which has a good resolution. I achieved to print basic pieces on 100mm/s print speed with good quality but the machine shakes it too much and doesn't have steadiness.
Next step will be to print a PLA Printer as a Printbot.
Step 1: Step 1: Materials
This is what I use for initial version of my printer:
- 2 x 400 mm stainless steel rods for X axis (I recicled for old printers and scanner)
- 2 x 300 mm stainless steel rods for Y axis
- 2 x 400 mm M8 threaded rods (0.80 €)
- 8 x M8 nuts (0.60 €)
- 4 x M5 screws with nuts and washers (0.60 €)
- 4 x 608zz bearing (recicled for old skate)
- 8 x LM8UU linear bearing (4 € aliexpress)
- Toothed belt (at firs I recicled for old printers and scanner)
- 4 x stepper motor nema 17 (26 € aliexpress) (at firs I recicled two motors for old printer but nema 17 its better)
- 2 x pulley 20 teeth GT2
- MK8 aluminium extruder (2.70€ aliexpress)
- Flexible coupling for Z motor (1€ aliexpress)
- Bowden ED3 V6 hot end kit (6.50 € aliexpress)
- Arduino Mega (6.80 € aliexpress)
- RAMPS 1.4 (3.40 € aliexpress)
- 4 x A4988 stepper driver (4€ aliexpress)
- Mirror, I use 18 x 24 cm (1.50 €)
- 2 x limit switch (10 x 1 € aliexpress)
Also you need:
- Recicled wood. I use agglomerate wood 16 mm width and 3 mm fiber board.
- Some screws
- Some hot glue, if you need
- 16 x nylon flange
- Some cable
- Male header socket for connectios
You can make a good printer for less than 60 €. I am sure that you can improve it! :)
Step 2: Step 2: Cut the Pieces and Put It All Together (Version 1)
I have used manual tools so there is not too much precisition in the cuts but we are going to fix it and calibrates it later.
The initial structure is similar as AxiDraw, for what is very simple.
For Z axis I have used 2 CD readers bars and a M5 screw with nuts.
Step 3: Step 3: Download Programs, Connect and Test
You have to download:
- Arduino IDE
- Marlin 1.0.2
- Fusion 360
This is I use to work with my printer, you can use a differents programs.
Then follow this steps:
- Load Marlin on Arduino Mega and set it up.
- Connect the RAMPS 1.4
- Connect the A4988
- Connect the motors
- Connect power supply
- Set up the motors current with A ref of A4988
- Connect limit switch, thermistor, hot end resistance and hot end fan.
Now you are ready to move this machine with pronterface and calibrate the steps of motors correctly and PID temperature.
Step 4: Step 4: Print and Assembly Version 2
You can download stl files from my Thingiverse.
- 3 x 300 mm M5 threaded rods
- 2 x 350 mm stainless steel rods
- 2 x LM8UU linear bearing
- Some M5 nuts and whasers
We just have to edit the print dimensions on Marlin, the rest is the same.
Step 5: Step 5: Enjoy!
This is my first instructable, I hope you enjoy it! Please share and comment :)
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.