Have you ever gone on a road trip with a carload of kids? How about a carload of tech-kids that all have their own iPods, iPhones, iPads, or similar hand-held devices? Trips like these are what made car entertainment systems a smash hit in many vehicles these days. Fact of the matter is, parents want to help kids pass the time and frankly, stay out of their hair while trying to navigate uncharted territory.
We have one of the in-car stock entertainment systems in our van. These are great if you have kids of all the same age range and tastes. When you have three or four kids with significant gaps in age it becomes impossible to get them to agree on an age appropriate movie that everyone can watch.
For this problem I have configured the ultimate mobile entertainment system. This simple setup allows each person in the vehicle to watch movies independently on their own device, all streaming “live” from a centralized laptop.
The benefits of this solution are:
- You don't need to spend countless hours converting videos to a specific format that will work on iOS devices
- You are not relying on the limited storage available on your iOS devices (admit it, most of your storage is being used up by apps anyway!)
- Everyone can pick their own movie to watch. They can even watch the same movie but with the ability to pause, rewind and play the movie independently of each other.
- Storage is very cheap these days. For around $90 you can get a 1TB drive such as this one! With this you can load up an entire library of videos for everyone to choose from!
- The same solution could be used at home, in hotels, etc.
This works amazingly well! The kids won't be able to tell the movies are not local on their own device.
Interested? Read on...