Grilled cheese is one of America's favorite comfort foods. I'm sure everyone can remember how excited they were as a little kid for the warm, gooey sandwich that simply melts in your mouth. For this recipe I am going to put a little spin on the sandwich to spice things up a bit!
Step 1: Ingredients
To create this sandwich you will need the following items.
1. Bread - Pick 2 slices your favorite type!
2. Salted Butter - be sure to use salted butter because this will add to the awesome flavor of the bread.
3. Cheese - at least 1/4 cup of your favorite cheese.
4. Bacon Bits - Prepackaged are easiest to use. You can also fry your own bacon to add if desired.
5. Spicy Giardiniera or Peppers - Giardiniera is a combination of spicy peppers and vegetables that have been soaked in oil or pickled. It will add a surprising kick to your sandwich and can be replaced with any other spicy pepper of your liking.
1. Large Pan or Skillet - Well used cast iron pans work best for providing a unique flavor.
2. Spatula - Used to flip the bread and sandwich.
3. Butter Knife - for spreading butter.
4. Large Spoon - for removing Giardiniera from container.
Step 2: Butter the Bread
Use the butter to generously butter both sides of each slice of bread. If the butter just came out of the refrigerator, microwave it for about 10 seconds to soften it up for easy spreading. Be sure to cover both sides of each slice well because this butter is what will lock in all the flavors of the sandwich.
After buttering the bread, turn the stove on high and place a generous slice of butter in the pan to melt. Once the butter has melted, place the slices of bread in the heated skillet.
Step 3: Brown the Bread
Allow the bread to toast until a desired golden brown (or charred black if you prefer burnt toast) has been reached. When the desired amount of browning has occurred, flip the slices using the spatula.
***Note: Be sure to regularly check the bread if you do not want a large amount of char on the bread, when cooking on high heat with lots of butter it is easy to over toast the bread!
Step 4: Add the Fillings
As soon as the bread has been flipped, add the cheese, bacon bits, and giardiniera to one slice of bread. Then add more cheese on top of the fillings.
Take the piece of bread without cheese on it and place whichever side is toasted more on top of the fillings. Be sure to take caution when placing the bread because it will be extremely hot.
Step 5: Flip Until Done
Now that the sandwich is assembled the final steps are to finish toasting the last two sides of the bread. Turn the stove down to about 3/4 to 1/2 power and continue flipping the sandwich until the desired browning is achieved for the bread and the cheese inside has melted.
***Note: If the cheese is not melting but he bread is toasting too fast, turn the heat down to the lowest setting and cover the sandwich in the pan with a skillet cover for about 1 minute to accelerate the heating process, continue flipping the sandwich as needed.
Step 6: Eat Up!
Once the fillings are melted and bread is finished toasting, carefully remove the sandwich from the pan, cut in half, and enjoy! The sandwich is extremely tasty and is complimented well if dipped in ketchup.
***Note: If after cutting the bread in half and seeing the cheese is not completely melted, place the sandwich back in the heated pan on low heat and cover to finish the melting process. Also, don't forget to turn the stove off!