Introduction: Ulunthu Kali : Sweet Made With Black Gram, Jaggery and Gingelly Oil
'Ulunthu Kali' is a traditional South Indian sweet made out of Black Gram, Jaggery, and Gingelly Oil. Ulunthu is Black Gram and Kali means a Porridge like preparation
This is a special type of nutritious and healthy food given to girl children when they attain puberty.
Please go through the instructable to see how to prepare 'Ulunthu Kali'
Step 1: Ingredients
- 100 grams of Black Gram with skin
- 100 grams of Raw Rice flour (Not parboiled rice flour)
- One cup of Cow's Milk
- 75 to 100 grams of Jaggery made from Coconut sap
- One cup of Gingelly Oil ( it is Sesame Oil)
- A small piece of dried Ginger
- Few Cardamom pods for aroma
Step 2: Make Black Gram Powder
- Dry roast the Black gram with skin a frying pan and allow it to cool
- Once it is cooled, transfer to a Mixer-grinder and make a fine powder
Mix the Black Gram powder with Raw Rice flour and keep aside
Step 3: Dissolve Jaggery in Boiling Water
- Boil about 2 cups of water in a bowl
- Break Jaggery into pieces and add to the boiling water
- Crush Dried Ginger and Cardamom pods to fine powder and add to the water
- Boil till Jaggery pieces are completely dissolved in water
This is done to remove any impurities and soil particles from country-made Jaggery from Coconut sap
Step 4: Mix With Milk
- Take the cow's milk in a vessel and add the Black Gram + Raw Rice flour mix to it
- Add a cup of water if required and mix all together without any lumps.
Step 5: Preparation Step 1
- Boil about 2 cups of water in a pan and add the Black Gram + Rice flour mix to it
- Keep stirring the mix continuously with a wooden ladle, to prevent forming of lumps
Step 6: Add Jaggery
- Now we can add the Jaggery boiled in water with dried ginger and cardamom pods to the pan
- Use a tea filter and pour the Jaggery water to the pan
- continue to stir the mix with the ladle
Step 7: Add Gingelly Oil and Remove From Pan
- Once the mix starts to thicken, add Gingelly oil to the pan and mix well
- To check that the preparation is complete, dip your hand in water and touch the mix in pan. It should not stick to your hand. If it sticks then cook for some more time
When the Kali is completely done, transfer to a serving pan and garnish with dry fruits and nuts
In a short while, the dish in the pan will get thick. You can eat this healthy and nutritious food any time of the day
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.