My design offers a revolution in umbrella functionality. With the implementation of a side shield you’ll be able to protect yourself at all times. You see, a regular umbrella can only protect you from what’s directly above you but what your sides? Those are pretty important regions too since you`ve got your clothes and stuff down there. You don`t want to go and wet your pants now, do you?
Well, whether rain is blowing east, west, north, or south you’ll now be ready. Walking towards a hurricane? Not a problem. Just simply rotate the umbrella handle until the shield is directly in front of you and you’ll be good to go. You may ask, “If the shield is in front of me won’t my vision be impaired”? That’s an excellent question, Timmy, and I’ve got it covered. With the implementation of a plastic “peep-hole” you’ll be able to see in front of you and stay rain-free. So what are you waiting for? If you’re up for it, break out your 123D Design Software and give this Instructable a go. I hope you enjoy it!
Step 1: Upper Canopy
2. Create a box (Length: 30, Width: 30, Height: 15).
3. Center the box on exactly one half of the sphere as shown in the picture.
4. Subtract the box from the sphere.
5. Create a second sphere (Radius: 14.5).
6. Center the second sphere within the half sphere so that exactly one half of the second sphere is visible. Refer to pictures.
7. Subtract the second sphere from half sphere.
Step 2: Rod
2. Create a second cylinder (Radius: 0.75, Height: 45).
3. Center the second cylinder directly on top of the first cylinder.
Step 3: The One and Only Shield
2. Create a second cylinder (Radius 14.5, Height: 45).
3. Center the second cylinder within the first cylinder.
4. Subtract the second cylinder from the first cylinder.
5. Create a box (Length: 30, Width: 30, Height 45).
6. Center the box on exactly one half of the cylinder. Refer to pictures.
7. Subtract the box from the cylinder.
[ IMPORTANT: Copy and paste the shield you have just created and put it to the side. You will need it in Step 4: "The Peep-Hole". ]
8. Create another cylinder (Radius: 8, Height: 10).
9. Flip the newly created cylinder so it is horizontal.
10. Center the hole within the shield.
11. Subtract the cylinder from the shield.
12. Join the shield to the upper canopy as shown in the picture.
Step 4: The Peep-Hole
[ You should have an extra shield with no hole in it from Step 3: "The One and Only Shield" ]
2. Place the shield with the hole in it exactly inside the shield without the hole in it.
3. Subtract the shield with the hole from the shield without the hole.
4. You should end up with a circular disk as shown in the picture.
5. Place the disk so that it fits perfectly in your original canopy.
Step 5: Filleting
2. Fillet the side edges (Radius: 10).
3. Fillet the upper canopy rim (Radius: 50).
4. Fillet the handle (Radius: 0.5).
Step 6: Materials
Shield = Latex
Rod = Steel
Handle = Cherry Wood
Peep-Hole = Poly Clear Plastic