Introduction: Unbelievable (?) Camera Service

Over the years my old digital camera has accumulated dirt in hard to reach places. The worst of which being in front of the lens. The best practical way to fix this was to take it apart, and this video shows the process.
I went about this in a rather "cack-handed" way and in the video you will see me being electrocuted twice by the flash circuit, and I got stung once more putting it back together.
Yet the camera still works.
Remember this next time someone is advocating the use of anti-static wrist straps...
Here's to the Fuji FinePix 2300 - at the moment all my pictures are taken with this.

(I thought the video camera was recording while putting this back together, but it wasn't.)

Comments

author
acollette1 (author)2013-12-29

Fyi, while taking apart an aging (8mp?) Sony for the experience and possibly of salvage,I too was surprised by that stored energy. In my case a screwdriver "grounded" the charge through nearby components on the board.
Wish it had been me.

author
DeanGPotts (author)2011-06-01

Good video, i watched it twice, mainly for the funny unexpected zaps, i love playing with zap circuits, made one from a cheap disposable camera.
That'll teach the kids for snooping around.

author
lemonie (author)DeanGPotts2011-06-01

Yes!

L

author
ycc2106 (author)2009-10-09

I have an old digital good-in-it's-time Nikon shaped like yours, but the batteries don't last - They die in ~12 shots !
Anybody know if there's anything I could do? a tip? Anything because for now it's not worth using it.

author
lemonie (author)ycc21062010-09-11


I used 4x NiMH 1500 mAh, what do you use? The screen tends to drain them a lot.

L

author
thePurush (author)ycc21062010-04-19

i hv had a similar problem in my olympus c750 UZ which is a high end camera.
i had four sets of nimh batteries, and had same problem with all.
before blaming camera  i tried out sony precharged batteries which dont discharge even after months.

Yes i charge them now once in a month, and y camera is always availble.

Check if this is problem with yr cam?
thePurush@gmail.com

author
killersquirel11 (author)ycc21062009-12-21

Well if you're using rechargables, try either a different set or some regular disposables.  Make sure you turn it off when you're not using it, and take the batteries out after turning it off.  See how many shots you can get in one sitting off of a full charge.

author
lemonie (author)ycc21062009-10-12

What sort of batteries and how many? I've got 4 NiMH, and I try to avoid using the LCD, it lasts a long time.

L

author
harry599 (author)2010-09-09

i have the same camera!! somewhere....

author
lemonie (author)harry5992010-09-11

Well if you ever take it apart, you've been warned...

L

author
The_Black_Hole (author)2009-11-13

lol whats with the freakishly long pinky finger nails?!?!?!!??

author

(left hand in 1:12-1:32)

author
lemonie (author)The_Black_Hole2009-11-14

I was experimenting with a tooth-pick. Cut it in the end, not a good shape.

L

author
The_Black_Hole (author)lemonie2009-11-14

lol like a finger nail tooth pick?!? haha...ha......huh.....why didnt i think of that....lol actaully sounds like a pretty good idea.

author
Re-design (author)2009-10-17

Such naughty language.

I thought you knew better than to get shocked.

author
lemonie (author)Re-design2009-10-17

No I didn't... There you go, we both learned something.

L

author
thearchitect (author)2009-09-06

Haha! I got myself shocked with flash circuits several times. Feels awful!.. :-) K.

author
lemonie (author)thearchitect2009-09-06

Orco? Why did you choose that character out of interest? L

author
thearchitect (author)lemonie2009-10-16

Orco, hmm, maybe to stay young?  :-)

K.

author
lemonie (author)thearchitect2009-10-17

It'd make a good Halloween costume?

L

author
Amnesia Wes (author)2009-09-26

You have phenomenal patience. Or were you just buggin' on crack? lol
Personally, I would've sent that camera to the Kodak Junkyard in the Sky, with a 5# sledgehammer, after the first 'stun-gun' moment!!!

All kidding aside, thanks for showing us some older stuff may just needing some cleaning, instead of tossing them out before even trying to save it...

author
lemonie (author)Amnesia Wes2009-09-26

I started, so I finished.*
Yes, some things can be fixed for nothing, I prefer to try before disposal.

L

*Magnus Magnusson

author
Scott_Tx (author)2009-09-07

try working on a phone line and getting a ring :P

author
lemonie (author)Scott_Tx2009-09-07

Are you a telephone engineer? L

author
Scott_Tx (author)lemonie2009-09-07

Nope, just an over enthusiastic do-it-yourselfer

author
Punkguyta (author)Scott_Tx2009-09-24

I've been lucky not to get that yet, but there is still some current there if you hold onto both wires.

author
james.mcglashan (author)2009-09-11

what yould you have doen if you broke it?

author
lemonie (author)james.mcglashan2009-09-12

Bought a new one with optical zoom. And at t some point I will. L

author
Stew2 (author)2009-09-06

Did the dirt make the dark pictures look like it was snowing? I have and old 2 megapixel Fuji that does that. Otherwise, I have two FinePix's and they both work great.

author
lemonie (author)Stew22009-09-06

Fuzzy grey blobs in the pictures. L

author
sharlston (author)lemonie2009-09-07

they could of been paranormal orbs lol

author
lemonie (author)sharlston2009-09-07

Rather crummy orbs if they were... L

author
sharlston (author)lemonie2009-09-10

lol

author
AndyGadget (author)2009-09-07

My old FinePix 5600 didn't fare so well when I stripped it down last week to try and repair an intermittent USB socket. There was one section which would not come apart no matter what I tried and in the end I got a bit medieval with it. Couldn't get it back together after that.

author
lemonie (author)AndyGadget2009-09-07

Oh dear, not "trial by ordeal"? L

author
oscarthompson (author)lemonie2009-09-08

I would be to scared to take my camera apart because i love it.... how did you get electricuted if you took the batterys out? The only time i got electricuted was when i took my blender apart

author
lemonie (author)oscarthompson2009-09-08

There's a big 300V capacitor in there... The video serves as a warning, while cheap cameras will require a while to charge-up, things like this (running off 4 AA's) must store plenty HV for rapid flash availability (or shocking). L

author
oscarthompson (author)lemonie2009-09-08

hmm.. I never knew that

author
sharlston (author)2009-09-08

did you swear?

author
lemonie (author)sharlston2009-09-08

I whispered something and also make a noise that could sound like an expletive, but I had been zapped...

L

author
sharlston (author)lemonie2009-09-08

yes the current and the voltage could of sent your mind funny(excuse)

author
Sharlston Cat (author)2009-09-07

Great video

author
Kiteman (author)2009-09-06

I heard a naughty work after the second jolt :-D

author
Emsaid (author)Kiteman2009-09-06

lol I did to

author
lemonie (author)Kiteman2009-09-06

Sorry, I was most unhappy at that instant. L

author
weirdo62 (author)2009-09-06

kewl

author
albylovesscience (author)2009-09-06

cool ible all good except the giant ~~Shock~~ you got

author
knexsuperbuilderfreak (author)2009-09-06

cool i rember when alot of things could be taken apart

About This Instructable

5,943views

3favorites

License:

Bio: I'm an experimentalist, a scientist and I have a tendency to do things just for the sake of doing them, or to find out ... More »
More by lemonie:Multiple-secret book-boxHow to make fake cat-foodSkull Candy Headphone Modification
Add instructable to: