My in-laws asked me to build them a storage unit for a small room where the grandchildren stays from time to time. So in this instructable I will show step by step how to build it.
The same idea can be applied for a window seat with pillows adjusting the unit size to fit.
Hope you enjoy my instructable.
Well lets get started with materials and tools you will need:
• 2X2 planed for the unit frame.
• 2x1 planed for door frames, 30mmx100mm for ladder steps.
• 18mm (full sheet) of MDF.
• 10mm (full sheet) of MDF.
• 2 mouldings for the front of the unit (decorative cover).
• Silicon (for moulding grip).
• 18,40,60mm screws, pin nails.
• Sand paper
• Metal angles to fit 2x2 and smaller ones for attaching top MDF.
• PVA wood glue.
Tools you will need:
• Long spirit level.
• Plastic 6mm plugs for plaster wall + 6mm drill bit, 10mm wood bit (pilot holes)3mm wood bit (pilot holes).
• Pencil + measuring tape, adjustable set square.
• Screw gun.
• Pin hammer + pins for attaching front moulding and tapping plugs into place.
• Jigsaw or handsaw for cutting 2x2 and notching over skirting boards, shaping MDF, blade for cutting angles, soft wood blade.
• Silicon gun to glue front moulding.
• Clamps (as many as you can get)
• Skill saw for cutting 10mm door panels.
• Mitre box + tenon saw.
• Electric router for MDF rounding and 2x1 rebating.
• Sander with different grit levels
• Pipe & wire detector.
Safety : When using electric tools use ears and eye protection.
Keep body parts away from sharp blades, use mask when cutting MDF . WORK SAFE!
Step 1: How to make the unit frame
Before you start make a plan for the size of the unit and don't forget the matress on top.
Start first by marking on the wall using your spirit level the top height of the frame don't forget the 18mm MDF and matress will be on top of that height. After marking with a pencil along the wall this will be the guide line for the top frame 2x2.
Check along the wall that there are no electric wires or pipes with Pipe&wire detector.
Place the 2x2 under the line and drill pilot holes with a small 2 or 3mm wood bit through the 2x2 until you mark the wall. If you are using a long 2x2 ask someone to help you hold it while you drill. For extra strength I drilled each pilot hole every 250-300mm.
After you have all the small holes marked on the wall use a 6mm bit to fit your plastic plugs. Drill into the marks with the 6mm. press the plaster board plugs into the wall or tap them in with a hammer. Use a 10mm wood bit with stopper or just masking tape around the bit as a mark for 10mm deep. Drill all the small holes in the 2x2.
Now just place the 2x2 against the wall and use screws to attach it into the plugs all the way around the top frame.
After the top frame is ready start with the support legs on 4 corners and under the 2 back frame joints.
Attach support angles to the corners for extra strength.
Make the front frame spacing of the legs in equal size so all doors will be the same. Make sure all the front frame parts are dead level easy door fitting.
After you finsh the front frame add extra support legs for the top frame all around.
Attach 2x2 to support the 18mm MDF top. Place 2x2 in the center of the unit so it will support both sides of MDF sheets. Attach with steel angles from 3 sides.
Measure and cut the 18mm sheet of MDF to fit the top of the bed unit, cutting it into half will be easier to lift. A full 18mm sheet of MDF is heavy.
Round the end of the sheet with an electric router or sand paper and leave extra 20mm over hang from your original mesurement for more attractive look.
Attach small angles from all sides underneath the 18mm MDF but don't secure it to the 2x2 at this stage only after adding the matress side board that you will have to drill from underneath then secure the 18mm MDF board .
Start first by marking on the wall using spirit level the top hight of the frame don't forget the 18mm MDF and matress will be on top of that hight. After marking with a pencil along the wall this will be the guide line for the top frame 2x2.
Cheack along the wall that there are no electric wires or pipes with Pipe&wier detector.