Introduction: New Trivet
After a friend of mine gave me some pieces of hard dark red wood, IPE wood wood,
I came up with the idea to build something that would enhance, through the contrast of colors, the beautiful dark red colour that is its hallmark. Since it is a hard and durable wood, I thought I'd make a trivet, in which the parties on which rests the pot are those of ipè while the alternating slats are FIR, whose light colours give a pretty good contrast.
Step 1: Material
First I set the thickness to get the:
in my case I decided a thickness of 14 mm; With the circular saw I got from shingles that had two sets of slats: clear and dark.
Step 2: Slowly... Takes Shape
The next step consisted in supporting each other, alternating slats and fixing them temporarily with paper tape to compact files.
With a template in a circle I ran a first crude measurement tracking that I preferred; in my case was of 160 mm in diameter. I met Board all spruce slats and I traced the shape which is a circle with two smaller opposing bevels. I then ran with rough cuts jigsaw according to tracing and got the structure in Figure
Step 3: the Central Elisse
And here we come to the stage of roughing.
I started with the dark strips that I modeled the superior semicircular profile, starting with a rough start at 45 degrees, then round up the profile with a rotary Sander. At first I used a fairly large grain size: 40, then I used the finer grain size 120. Gradually the roughing taking bags!!! I tried to refine the shape of the circle. Since the height of the dark strips was originally the same as the clear, I had to go to work to about 2 mm, so that might be a bit far away from the heat of the Pan leaned dark ones. As you can see the shape of the junction has become strips by elisse circle: beautiful isn't it? Obviously at this stage I connected better among them clear strips to make more regular the shape elliptical.
Step 4: Finishing
And so began the finishing phase, which concerned the resumption of regular size and the other the proper sanding and create the desired form.
Upon reaching the desired shape I proceeded to fix the parts together; I thought it would be appropriate, in order to improve the solidity of the structure, perform a through hole on each piece in the middle of the workpiece, so that, once connected I could colarci a certain amount of wood glue liquid enough that, once dried he favored the formation of a single body. As I finish used as more natural there might be namely transparent maintenance oil. Gradually taking bags!!!, I have to admit that the form is improving and assumed a "personality", and If I'm being really honest, also better than expectations. "...I seem to have already seen somewhere ... "I was repeating myself, but I couldn't remember where. I have kept my astonishment to something new. Maybe the fact that the inner ellipse remember an egg, has itself something cute and natural ... I don't know, the fact is that I like, and so I decided to publish it on our site, taking advantage of this new Contest in which I participate with enthusiasm. I'm anxious to hear what you think and if approved .... And all, thanks for the warning to all those who have followed me, and please vote for me if you believe ... ..!!!
A salute to the entire community of Instructables by Torx.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.