I bought the GoPro, it is great how small the camera is, but that also makes it is hard to keep it stable. And because I go diving for 2 months in Indonesia next summer i needed a small lightweight rig. I only could find the normal heavy and expensive rigs, so i made one myself.
Also the rig can be extended by putting end caps on the handlebars, this would be nice for filming lights.
And don't worry about the tripod mount, you can still use it on a tripod ;)
Step 1: Get Materials
- GoPro Tripod Mount > $ 7,99 GoPro website
- About 50 cm 1" PVC pipe > about $ 2 (local hardware store)
- 2x 90º PVC elbows > about $ 2
- PVC Tee > about $ 1
- PVC End cap or PVC Male adapter (I used an old damaged adapter) > about $ 2
- PVC glue (or you should only use PVC pipes with fittings)
And to make it you will need this:
- Drill (with size 20/22 mm)
Step 2: Make the Rigs Body
See the pictures notes for the sizes I used.
Making the body is pretty easy, just saw 2 pipes for the bottom and 2 for the handlebars. (it looks better if they are the same size).
Then put some glue on the ends of the pipes and the inside of the connectors.
Push the pipes into the connectors and let it dry for about 1 hour, you can already start on the next step while you wait!