- to allow the seed-starting greenhouse to be used ultra-efficient. The greenhouse is planned to be used as a movable greenhouse to germinate seeds of different foodcrop-plots (one plot at a time; leaving it on just long enough untill the germs have come to somewhat to size). When the seed has germinated well enough to resist the outside environment, the greenhouse is then quickly moved to another plot. The crops and plots offcourse are best all of different species (or cultivars), so that the greenhouse does not need to germinate all the seeds/sowbeds at once. If still too many plots need to be germinated at a certain time, try using several of of these (low-cost) greenhouses, and/or apply other options (eg taking content with a light decrease in the possible harvesting gains, ...).
-to reduce hassle: the greenhouse is compact and can be taken along
-to decrease costs: given the materials used, it may not cost anything at all (if all parts may be used from the home), or atleast very less (parts may be gathered from stores, scrapyards, ... cheaply).
Step 1: Materials
- 1 large, sturdy piece of glass, sized to the box (atleast more or less)
- 1 sturdy wooden box
- 2 large woodscrews
- 4 rubber O-rings (sized to the thickness of the large screws)
- 6 small woodscrews
- 1 small piece of wood; sized to the thickness of the glass. In our set-up, we used a stirring stick for paint herefore; these are usually about right in thickness
- 8 aditional woodscrews and 4 rotatable wheels for reusing box bottoms
Step 2: Box Bottom Removal
Step 3: Fitting of Screws and Wood-pieces
Also mount the pieces of wood (cut the single large piece of in 4 smaller pieces so that 2 pieces may hold the glass positioned and 2 may secure the glass). The pieces are to be fitted to the box using the 6 woodscrews. The glass is to be slided in between the 2 first wooden pieces (this provides most protection), the glass-securing pieces are only ment for when the greenhouse is moved. Make sure the last 2 pieces may be turned (the screws must not block the turning !)
Step 4: Mounting of the Glass + Tilting Towards Sun
Step 5: Reuse of Box Bottoms
Step 6: Enjoy
- watching the seeds germinate within your greenhouse during the cold months
- the all round amazing benefits of pot moving using wheeled platforms !