My wife sometimes asks me to do something to help her. For example, a holder for a water bottle or any drawer for storing vegetables. She loves cooking and experimenting with food. Kitchen Tools from time to time updated with new exhibits that are always used and not gathering dust around. At this time, Dasha needed a cutting board a special design.
Step 1: Conception
I had the following requirements:
- All waste / finished pieces must be using a knife to chip through the hole in the container.
- The board must have a large area.
- The board must have the support of sufficient height (Dasha, former captain of the volleyball team - a tall girl, and kitchen tables have almost all standard height).
- Capacity, which should accumulate material shall take the form of a drawer.
- The board must be mobile.
So the requirements put forward, and the process of drafting, design has become a completely different concept, which eventually came out cheaper to manufacture and easier to maintain.
In the final version, we decided to abandon the closed design, reducing the weight and cost of components. Box decided to replace with a bowl stainless steel, as the timber for frequent cleaning may spoil. By the second design can use several containers under them alternately sliding the board.
Step 2: Materials and Instruments
- Cutting board (preferably hardwood) (for example IKEA 502.334.22) - 1 pc.
- A bowl of stainless steel. Steel - 1 pc.
- Round saw with a diameter of 80 mm and above - 1 pc.
- Electric drill - 1 pc.
- Cutter Forstner 25 mm - 1 pc.
- Mop or handle (preferably solid wood) 25 mm diametre- 1 pc.
- Wooden Glue - 1 pc.
- Oil - 1 pc.
- Cotton swab
- Sandpaper (fine grain) - 1 pc.
- Saw - 1pc.
- Ruler - 1 pc.
- Pencil - 1 pc.
Step 3: Cutting
- Drill by the round saw a hole into which it will be convenient fold waste / pieces of vegetables, meat. I should say that I made a mistake by making a large hole coaxial with the standard (it was in the final board IKEA), aesthetically it looks justified, but in reality, slightly reduces the effective surface of the board. If you are going to use the first version with drawer, central location of the hole can be only one possible. So I will do the same for my mother in the new year, only the hole is offset to one of the corners of the board.
- Handles the inner wall of the hole with sandpaper to complete the grinding surface.
From arm / long stick mops, saw off four cylinder height of about 80 mm. Their ends are also processed with sandpaper.
The corners on the back side of the board at a distance of 10 mm from each edge cutter Forstner drill the four blind holes 8 mm deep. They will serve as slots for our legs.
Step 4: Gluing
Additionally missed these blind holes glue for wood, fix the leg on the board. Give dry (see. The instructions in the glue). Before first use, soak a cotton swab with oil and grease the surface of the board, after drying, repeat the operation, this will increase the humidity of the wood.
Step 5: Use and Experiment
So, finally, you can use this kitchen board with different plates and bowls. Cut your vegitables by a knife or grater, or may be you want use it for romantic serving. Just add the glass with the water an put the candle into it.
So, good luck and nice cooking!