Here I've modified an old non-working General Electric RF remote AC switch to a switch that can be controlled with any IR remote.
My motivation was this, I wanted to be able to turn a light on-off across my bedroom with my DirecTV IR remote. My plan was to use the Aux-1 button, since it's not being used for anything else. I needed some kind of circuit that would recognize the Aux-1 IR signal and activate a relay.
After some searching -- and a friend's suggestion -- I found the simerec.com, SIS-1 chip. I considered using the lamp application circuit that they have on their site, but then I remembered that I had an old GE radio remote control AC switch that I could convert instead. Why would I want to convert something that's already remote controllable? First, the radio remote never worked like it should have. Second, I want to be able to control as much as I can from one remote; In my case, a DirecTV 6-in-1 remote.
So, here's what I did...
Step 1: The Original General Electric RF AC Switch
Next, I'll cut open the case...
Step 2: Cut Open the Case
Step 3: Parts Used
The capacitor and resistor are for blocking power supply noise. You don't need them if you are using a clean power source, like a PC power supply, but I figured better safe than sorry.
I'm using a socket because I like to use it instead of a perf/proto-board for a small project like this one.
I decided to use a stereo jack and old headphone cable/plug for the IR receiver so that I could move it around. I really don't need it now because the AC switch will be behind a table that is able to pick up the IR signal when I bounce it off of the ceiling. But if I ever decide to re-arrange things the plug/jack/cable give me more options.
The switch is used to put the SIS-1 into program mode, so that I can teach it the Aux-1 button. I'm going to install the switch so that it's accessible after I epoxy the enclosure back together so that I can re-program the SIS-1 if/whenever I want in the future.
Step 4: Wiring Plan
Step 5: GE AC Switch Circuit Board
1. RF antenna was removed to give more clearance.
2. Ground source.
3. +5v source.
4. Top leg of resistor R5 was de-soldered, so that the SIS-1
toggle output (pin 3 on SIS-1) could be connected. It's
through R5 that the transistor activates the relay.
5. These two lines run to an LED that lights when the relay is
active. I don't want an indicator, so I disconnected it;
However a diode connection is required here for the circuit
to work, so I moved the LED to the back of the circuit board,
so it's out of sight.
Step 6: Wire Is Soldered to R5 and Heat Shrinked
Step 7: Solder Wires and Resistor to Chip Socket
Step 8: Drilled Holes for IR Receiver Jack (stereo Jack) and Pushbutton Switch
Step 9: IR Chip Installed
Step 10: Final Installation
Step 11: Profiles of IR Jack and Pushbutton
Step 12: Final Product
Programming the SIS-1 to respond to the Aux-1 button of my remote was almost too easy:
1. On the now modified GE unit, I pushed the programming button that was installed in step 10. As expected, the relay activated, and the light came on (this indicates that the SIS-1 is ready to learn the IR code).
2. I aimed the remote and pressed the Aux-1 button, and the light went off (this indicated that the SIS-1 learned the Aux-1 IR code.)
That's it. Now each time I press the Aux-1 button on my remote, the light switches on-off.
Now I don't have to get out of bed to turn my light on-off, and I don't have to keep track of more than one remote, not to mention changing batteries in more than one remote.
I'm planning on installing these chips into a few other items around the house, and I hope to post those projects too!