However, we thought it'd be awesome to create a brain that could control anything based on the thermocouple output. Something that would work with a rice cooker, bucket heater, or even a smoker. We could've gone out and bought a $160 Sous Vide Magic, but we built our own controller for $70! And now we'll show you how to DIY.
Again we've avoided soldering anything, which simplifies the construction considerably.
You can check out some recipes and more DIY sous vide advice at our blog. The details in this instructible are posted there as well.
Warning: do not embark on this if you are not comfortable with electronics, including high voltages. AC power direct from the wall goes through some connections, which can lead to personal injury or death.
- PID Temperature controller JLD612 (Lightobject)
- Pt-100 RTD sensor (ebay or Lightobject)
- 25A Solid State Relay (Lightobject)
- SSR heat sink (Auber Instruments)
- Wire crimping tool and spade/ring/butt terminals (Amazon)
- 2 foot air conditioner extension cord
- 2 foot 12 gauge wire
- 1 foot double stranded 18 gauge wire
- Electrical tape
- Duct tape