Every new projects that is open,I want to try some thing, and even in my sleep I dream of what I am going to do next.
Recently we upgraded our living room with new carpets and curtains,and these blue chairs were looking really awful.We have been hunting for new chairs and found some beautiful leather chairs which is costing way beyond my limit.
I was thinking of selling them,but I guess
no one is going to buy these chairs because of the colour and the small patches in some of the chairs.Or I have to sell it for a peanut price.
Just at the correct time fix and improve contest was out. Wow !! I was taken up with this and decided to re cushion and put it out for sale....
Choosing the material was a bit difficult. It has to be 100% cotton, economical and my hubby should also like it..
I have time only on weekends,So we rushed to Ikea on Saturday and was happy to find some thing that we both liked.Sunday I started off with my new instructable for fix and improve contest.
My target was to finish it on the same day,if not it will prolong until next weekend.Yes! I managed to do it on the same day with the help of my hubby.Thanks to him...
I always like to publish with lots of pictures ,so that every one can understand looking at the pictures alone.
Step 1: Requirements
Thread to match
Tape (in case you need)
Sewing machine (not included in the Picture)
Screw driver (forgot to include)
Loads of staple pins
Pliers (not included in the picture)
Step 2: Old Dining Table Chairs
Step 3: Removing
Once the screw nails are out the seat can be taken out.The back rest is just inserted on to the two slots on both ends.Give a tap on the back rest and it comes out.All six chairs are removed.
Now get the staples out from the back of the seat. My hubby helped me to remove the staples one by one carefully, as the lining was very thin and there are chances of the lining getting damaged.
Step 5: Cutting
I was a bit disappointed with my hubby for not taking a full photo.I realized it only when I was uploading the pictures.Too late as every thing is fixed already .Any way you could see half of it.
I left around 2inches on all for sides for stapling and cut the material around.
Step 6: Stapling
Next step is to turn the seat on the wrong side and staple the lining carefully.This gives a good finish even though it is on the wrong side.
Step 7: All Six Seats Are Ready!!
Step 8: Back Rest
I marked it a round with a felt pen.Then cut along the marked line on the block.
Fold the material in to two,the wrong side facing out ,place the paper block and pin it. Then cut out the material leaving about 1-1 1/2 inches on all sides for sewing allowances.
Sew on all three sides marked A B &C
Turn inside out and slip in the piece,and again pull the sewn cover very well,so that there are no gathers and it gives an even finish..Now hand sew the open side.Cut the excess material away.Leave only 1/4 inches
If I had to take the stripes in an order as a design on all 6 pieces I need too much of material.
Step 9: All Six Back Rest Completed
Step 10: Assembling the Back Rest
Step 11: Assembling the Seat
Step 12: Compare the Old and New Look :)
Compare the old and new look.
Step 13: Completed
Sharing my project with love.
Thanks for reading and please cast your votes and stars for me,if this helps you to re do your chairs.Thanks
I have posted this in the Hurriecane contest too.
I am a day care mom who is working full time,and do not have enough time for my sewing and crafting work which I love it very much.If ever I win the laser cutter I will give up my full time job or reduce it to a couple of hours(because I do a lot of craft work with the kids and they will be dissapointed to see me no more)and start my own business at home as I have enough and more sewing orders which I can not do it on time.Every instructable I do with the help of the laser cutter,I will definetly post it on this great site.