Introduction: Update: Segway Clone - Stronger Design Modification
In the original Instructable for the Segway Clone, there is a weak point
at the junction between the vertical PVC pipe and the wood platform. It can crack there if too much sudden force is applied. This Instructable is for modifying that junction to be all metal which strengthens it and PROTECTS you from harm.
Step 1: Weak Point
In the original Instructable for the Segway Clone, there is a weak point at the junction between the Vertical PVC and the wood platform. If you fall or suddenly put too much force on the handlebars. The mechanical advantage at the fulcrum (intersection) creates a force that is too strong for the PVC. In other words, it cracks as shown in the picture.
Step 2: Parts
- 3/4" Black Iron Floor Flange $5.47
- 3/4" x 2' Black Iron Pipe $8.51
- 1-1/4" x 3/4" Black Iron coupling. $3.48
- 1-1/4" x PVC threaded Male Adapter $0.98
Step 3: Preparation and Assembly
- Remove any wire connections from the Arduino box. MAKE SURE TO MARK DOWN wire color connections on a paper for reconnection later.
- Remove the old Floor flange metal from the Segway Clone.
- Fill holes with Spackle if desired as show in the pic.
- Cut old PVC as shown in the picture being VERY CAREFUL not to cut the wires.
- Attach PVC 1-1/4"x3/4" coupler to 3/4" iron pipe as shown in the picture. Use large wrenches to tighten.
- Attach new Iron Floor Flange to the board.
- Thread 3/4" iron pipe assembly into board. Tighten with large wrench.
Step 4: Epoxy Handlebars On
- Take the old handle bar assembly and thread it's wires down the iron pipe through the bottom of the board.
- Using sandpaper, clean off any paint on the old PVC.
- Mix up some Epoxy at the 50/50 ratio. Spread it on both sides of the PVC junction and then join them.
- Be sure the handle bars are parallel with the board front edge.
- Reconnect the Arduino wiring.
Step 5: Test Ride
- Wait about an hour for the epoxy to dry.
- Test ride your newer and stronger Segway Clone!