Uppuma (Upma) is one of the savory dishes made for Breakfast in southern parts of India. It is cooked as a thick porridge from coarse rice flour or semolina. However, here is my recipe where you can turn your left-over Idlis into tasteful uppuma
Step 1: Crumble the Left-over Idlis
Idli is a traditional breakfast in most parts of South India. it is made from the fermented batter consisting rice and black lentils. Some times we have some left-over idlis after everybody takes breakfast. Using your fingers lightly crumble the leftover idlis as shown in the picture here and keep it aside.
Step 2: Slice Handful of Onions
I have used small onions (Shallots) here which gives more taste than the normal big onions.
Clean a handful of small onions and cut them into small pieces. You can add as much onion you like, it gives more taste to the Idli Uppuma.
Step 3: Other Ingredients
- A tablespoon of any cooking oil
- A spoonful of Mustard seeds mixed with broken black lentils
- Salt to taste
- 2 or 3 dried red chilies broken into pieces
- A bunch of Curry leaves
Step 4: Method
- Heat a frying pan over medium fire and add the cooking oil
- When the oil is hot add mustard seeds mixed with broken black lentils
- When the mustard seeds start to crack, add the red chilies
- Then add sliced onions and curry leaves.
- Cook till the raw smell of onion vanishes
Step 5: Add Crumbled Idlis and Salt
- Now you can add the crumbled idlis we have kept aside earlier to the frying pan.
- Add salt to taste and mix well
Step 6: Remove From Stove and Serve
When the crumbled idlis are thoroughly mixed with the other ingredients, remove from stove.
Serve hot. It tastes so wonderful I never miss a chance to make it whenever I find some leftover idlis