Introduction: Usb to DMX-RDM Interface
Bieing a lighting technician I needed a usb to dmx interface but the commercially available ones are just too expensive so I decided to build my own.
Step 1: Things You'l Need
- FTDI usb to RS485 module http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-to-RS485-TTL-Serial-...
- Neutrik panel mount XLR 3 pin http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Neutrik-3Way-Panel-Mount...
- hook up wire
- a project enclosure of your choice (link to the one i used http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/hammond-1455c801-alumin...)
- soldering iron and solder
- hot glue gun
- wire stripper and pliers
- drill and drill set
Step 2: Prepare the Enclosure
- Cut a hole big enough for the xlr on one side of the enclosure also drill 2 holes lining up with the xlr's screw holes.
- Cut a square hole that the usb socket fits through on the other side of the enclosure.
- hot glue the usb to RS485 adapters usb socket into the square hole as shown in the image (ignore the three led's).
- if you are using a metal case make shure to hot glue a piece of plastic to the bottom of the usb to RS485 module to avoid short circuits.
- screw the xlr to the case.
Step 3: Wiring
you will need to solder 3 wires to the xlr's pins.
the wires are connected as shown in the images.
you can now assemble the enclosure .
Step 4: You're Done
IMPROVEMENTS To Be Made
- add isolation.
- make the hardware more compatible with dmx input (right now dmx input isn't really supported by the hardware).
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.