Oscilloscopes are commonly used to observe the exact wave shape of an electrical signal. In addition to signal amplitude, oscilloscopes can show time distortion between two events (such as pulse width, period, or rise time) and relative timing of two related signals
Below is a picture of common Oscilloscope.
Today, Oscilloscope uses LCD color display, displaying better graphics
Step 1: Make Your Own Oscilloscope Using Your Laptop Computer
Once I need an oscilloscope to see the electrical voltage ripple in the car. Ignition systems, alternator rotation, high-beam lights flicker, and others are generally emit noise or voltage ripples, Well, this is what I want to know, size of the noises, etc.
Oscilloscopes are very expensive tools, and generally are only used in electronics / electrical laboratory.
Finally, I found an application that could use laptop computer / PC as Oscilloscope by adding some components as interface.
Those components are simple and quite cheap!
The necessary components:
• Two 22K ohm Resistors
• Two 82K ohm Resistors
• One 50K Linear Potentiometer + Tuning Knob
• One meter Shield Stereo cable
• One 3.5mm Stereo Jack
• Tester Terminal
Step 2: Electronic scheme
• The 22K Resistor serves as voltage safety limit into laptop soundcard.
• The Potentiometer serves as input voltage resistor. If the voltage is above 5volt, adjust the potentiometer necessarily to prevent the soundcard from being damaged by excessive voltage input.
• Use shield audio cable to prevent induction around the cable.