Introduction: Using Apple Leftovers From Juicing - Pectin & Apple Sauce
If you own a juicer, you can make apple juice and have plently of leftover scraps, called pomace. You can compost it, turn it into garbage enzyme, or throw it out. Before you do, consider this instructable. It will shows you how to extract pectin for jam and jelly making using a method only slightly different from NoFiller'sPectin from Scratch instructable. This pectin has a neutral flavor since there is only residual apple juice in the process. Also, you'll be able to use the pomice to make apple sauce. It's flavor isn't as good as Poppa Chubby'sHome Made Applesauce, it's bland actually, but it's a good source of fiber. Lastly, consider eating the apple whole instead, core included, it's quicker.
Pictured is a jelly blob made by adding lemon juice and denatured alcohol to the pectin.
Step 1: Liquify the Pectin
- Juice your apples, drink the juice (or whatever else you do with apple juice).
- Run the pomace / pulp through the juicer again to make it more dry.
- In a ceramic or stainless pot, dissolve the pomace / pulp in water.
- The consistency should be ½ as thick as regular apple sauce, very runny.
- Boil the mixture for about 1 hour on low-medium.
- Let the mixture cool to room temperature.
Step 2: Separate the Mixture
- Using a coffee filter, strain the mixture.
- Wring the filter lightly to drain more pectin-water.
- Use cheese cloth to wring the filter more heavily, but avoid tearing.
- Put the wrung contents into a seperate bowl for later use.
Pictured is 32 fl. oz. of pectin water and about a ½ cup of pomace / pulp.
Step 3: Concentrate the Pectin
- Boil on high heat.
- Pectin is ready when the boiling sounds 'soapy' or sizzling, like blowing air through teeth.
Step 4: Test Pectin (Optional)
DANGER: Do NOT drink the final product, it is toxic and SHOULD NOT be mistook for a jello shot.
- Use a plastic straw with your finger on the end as a pipette.
- Put a sample of pectin into a small container, 5-10 drops should be enough.
- Add 1-2 drops of lemon juice to the pectin.
- Add 3-10 drops of denatured alcohol to the mixture (available at hardware stores).
- Swish the mixture, it should jellify. If not, keep boiling.
Step 5: Make Apple Sauce
- Add water to the pomice / pulp and stir until the texture is what you'd expect with apple sauce.
- Add sugar and cinnamon to taste.
- Reward yourself for all the hard work, enjoy it!