Pictured is a jelly blob made by adding lemon juice and denatured alcohol to the pectin.
Step 1: Liquify the Pectin
- Juice your apples, drink the juice (or whatever else you do with apple juice).
- Run the pomace / pulp through the juicer again to make it more dry.
- In a ceramic or stainless pot, dissolve the pomace / pulp in water.
- The consistency should be ½ as thick as regular apple sauce, very runny.
- Boil the mixture for about 1 hour on low-medium.
- Let the mixture cool to room temperature.
Step 2: Separate the Mixture
- Using a coffee filter, strain the mixture.
- Wring the filter lightly to drain more pectin-water.
- Use cheese cloth to wring the filter more heavily, but avoid tearing.
- Put the wrung contents into a seperate bowl for later use.
Pictured is 32 fl. oz. of pectin water and about a ½ cup of pomace / pulp.