Step 3: Mixing and Setting
NOTE: The vinegar smell here is normal. Silicone caulking is mixed with acetic acid to help it cure. The fumes are harmless, but you will probably mix this outside.
To mix your molding material add the ingredients in the following order:
1. Measure out your Silicone into plastic cup (1oz)
2. Add appropriate amounts of Glycerin (3 drops)
3. Add appropriate amounts of Paint (1 Drop)
4. Add appropriate amounts of Mineral Spirits (.5oz)
5. Mix with plastic silverware until the paint is dispersed through the mixture with no white left. I like to use a knife, some prefer a spoon.
6. Scoop silicone into casting box. I say scoop becausethis material does not pour like molding silicone. If you're trying to make a two part mold, you're going to have to add pressure to fill in the gaps.
7. Cure times depend on heat and moisture, but is generally 2-4 hours.
That's all there is to it! Follow the directions of some of the other casting instructables, and you should have a mold that you can make your own things with.