Step 1: Materials needed
- Pole and attachments ( curtain pole or pipe fittings, screws).
- Strong metal saucepan or utensil hanging hooks
- Compost of a good quality moisture holding type.
- Selection of plants or seeds... e.g. mixed leaf salad, herbs,sorrel, peas, mini tomatoes.
- Piece of wood 2"x2" as long as the width of the pocket store to keep the base of pockets away from the wall.
- Trough planter to catch drips.
Step 2: Attach pole to shed or wall
You could use a curtain pole.
Make sure it is at the correct height especially if you want to grow plants in a trough below ( see step 7). This uses the surplus water from the pockets above.
Step 3: Attach hanging shoe store
Step 4: Test drainage
Step 5: Fill each pocket with compost
Step 6: Add plants or seeds
- herbs thyme, sorrel, chives
- salad mixed leaf, mustard, cut and come again, or spinach
- minibel tomatoes
- 'petit pois peas you can eat the young leaflets and tendrils
Step 8: Maintaining a healthy hanging veg plot
- Add water retaining crystals to the compost. HINT... add water to some crystals in a container and allow them to swell then add that to the compost and fill your containers, otherwise when the crystals swell they can grow so much that they push the compost, seeds and plants out!!
- Plants like tomatoes will need regular Tomato fertilizer (and use slow release granules) as the fertility of the compost will soon get exhausted.
- Do not over pick salad leaves, so the plant regrows.
- It is important to keep a look out for aphids, slugs, caterpillars and other pests.
- Remove diseased , infected or damaged leaves... compost them.
- Remove unproductive plants and compost them
- When reusing pockets add some fresh compost.