In this tutorial, I will explain the recipe and steps it takes to make these wonderful whoopie pies as well as show you a fun way to package them for valentines gifts.
I just know all your friends and family are going to love these homemade heart shaped whoopie pies; you made them!
Let's get started on the fun stuff....
Step 1: Ingredients
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 8 tbsp. butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- red food coloring
- 8 0z cream cheese
- 5 tbsp. butter
- 2 1/2 tbsp. vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
Step 2: Prepping for the Cookies
- Tear two pieces of parchment paper that fits the two cookie sheets.
- Create a heart template from a scrap of cardboard. My heart was about 2 1/2" horizontal and 2 3/4" vertically. (Using cardboard makes it easier when tracing)
- Trace hearts onto the parchment paper. I used a thick sharpie marker to make the lines easier to see
- Place the drawn side of the parchment paper downwards on the cookie sheet.