This mediterranean recipe is simple yet tasty. It can easily be prepared beforehand, so you have time for your guests or to make an entree. Serve with a side of herb polenta (italian/french cornmeal porridge) or wild rice.
Serves 2-3 people.
Step 1: Gather Ingredients
Recipe for 2-3 people:
- 2 large eggplants
- 2 vegan sausages
- 1 medium paprika
- 1/2 medium onion
- pickled garlic (to taste)
- 1 pck tomato sauce (or homemade tomato sauce)
- 1/2 pack vegan cheese (I use Cheezly Mozarella-Style or Herbs)
- vegan breadcrumbs
also: italian herbs, pepper, olive oil, salt
You can also try other fillings like fried mushrooms, smoked tofu or beans.
Step 2: Slice & Fry
- preheat your oven to 180°C (350F)
- cut up the eggplants into 1 cm slices
- salt on both sides and let sit for 10 min (the salt pulls out the water and makes the eggplant softer and less bitter)
- fry the eggplant slices on both sides with a little bit of olive oil. Apply with a brush if you want the fat content low. Fry on medium heal until the slices get soft and bendy. Set aside and let cool a little.
Step 3: Prep the Filling
- cut up the saussages into pieces about the widht of the eggplant slices
- cut the paprika and onions into fine stripes
- cut how much garlic you want into slices
Step 4: Roll 'em Up
- place saussage, peperoni, onion and garlic on one end of the eggplant slice. Add a dash of black pepper and herbs to taste
- roll up the eggplant slice tightly around the filling and place into a casserole dish with the opening facing downwards. You can secure the rolls with a toothpick, just remember them when eating later!
- pack your eggplant-rolls tightly in the casserole dish
Step 5: Gratin That Stuff!
- cover the eggplant-rolls in tomato sauce
- put sliced vegan cheese on top and sprinkle the breadcrumbs on (gives it a nice crust)
- (up until now the dish can be prepared beforehand and temporarily stored in the fridge.)
- bake 40min at 180°C (350F)
Serve hot with a side of herb polenta (italian/french cornmeal porridge) or wild rice.