Bolognese sauce is traditionally a meat- and pork- based sauce. I had a desire to lighten up this dish by making it all vegetarian. In fact, it's easy enough to make vegan - thereby creating delicious, stick-to-your-ribs sauce that is actually good for you!
Let's compare amounts per serving*:
Traditional Bolognese: 472 calories 19.7 grams of fat
Vegan Bolognese: 158 calories 7.8 grams of fat
Only two tablespoons of oil are added to a medley of fresh herbs, vegetables, and tempeh (opt). Allowing this ragu to simmer for two hours creates deeply complex and robust flavor.
For a gluten-free option, omit the tempeh and use wheat free pasta!
* according to recipe calculator
Step 1: Ingredients
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 package smoked tempeh or tofu (opt.) chopped
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 pound eggplant roasted or salted and drained, chopped
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup stewed tomatoes (can substitute for canned)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme
- few shavings of fresh nutmeg (opt)