Introduction: Vegan Lip Balm
This quick and easy lip balm recipe with have you smiling in no time!
Create your own all natural, bee-free lip balms so that you will never need to be seen with less than kissably-soft, smooth lips.
(But if you're a beekeeper, or just a big fan of beeswax, it can easily be substituted in!)
Step 1: Materials
- 1oz hard wax (candelilla, soy, etc)
- 1 oz solid-at-room-temperature oil (coconut oil, avocado oil, mango butter, or shea butter)
- .75 additional hard-at-room-temperature oil (cocoa butter, floral waxes, or palm oil)
- 2 oz liquid oil (jojoba oil or olive oil) (not shown)
- few drops of Vitamin E Oil (Tocopherol)
- Essential oils (optional, your choice) - maximum 8 drops for each lip balm
- Microwave-safe cup or bowl with pour spout
- Digital scale sensitive to at least .1 oz (a postage scale will usually work for this)
- Stirring spoon
- Funnel that will fit opening of tubes/canisters
- Lip balm tubes/canisters
Step 2: Melt Wax
Measure your wax with your scale (not pictured).
Add wax to your microwave safe container and melt on high heat in 30 second bursts.
Stir between nukings and continue until the wax is completely liquified.
Step 3: Add Extras
Stir the mixture while you add all of your oils - I used coconut, jojoba, vitamin E and essential oils for a lovely scent!
If the wax starts to harden while you're still mixing in ingredients, just zap it in the microwave for another 30 seconds and stir!
Step 4: Dispense
This is the hardest part, I think, and if you have access to a pipette or a dropper, that would probably work out much better!
I used a funnel that fit exactly into my little tubes.
Pour the mixture slowly into your containers, tapping a bit to remove any trapped air.
If the resulting product cracks, it means you're pouring it while it's too hot - let it cool a bit and try again!
Step 5: Label and Share!
Come up with your own special label to let all your friends know this is something awesome that you made and couldn't wait to share with them!
(hopefully you'll come up with something cooler than I did)
This project is so quick and easy, I know you'll love getting all your friends involved!