Create your own all natural, bee-free lip balms so that you will never need to be seen with less than kissably-soft, smooth lips.
(But if you're a beekeeper, or just a big fan of beeswax, it can easily be substituted in!)
Step 1: Materials
- 1oz hard wax (candelilla, soy, etc)
- 1 oz solid-at-room-temperature oil (coconut oil, avocado oil, mango butter, or shea butter)
- .75 additional hard-at-room-temperature oil (cocoa butter, floral waxes, or palm oil)
- 2 oz liquid oil (jojoba oil or olive oil) (not shown)
- few drops of Vitamin E Oil (Tocopherol)
- Essential oils (optional, your choice) - maximum 8 drops for each lip balm
- Microwave-safe cup or bowl with pour spout
- Digital scale sensitive to at least .1 oz (a postage scale will usually work for this)
- Stirring spoon
- Funnel that will fit opening of tubes/canisters
- Lip balm tubes/canisters
Step 2: Melt Wax
Add wax to your microwave safe container and melt on high heat in 30 second bursts.
Stir between nukings and continue until the wax is completely liquified.
Step 3: Add Extras
If the wax starts to harden while you're still mixing in ingredients, just zap it in the microwave for another 30 seconds and stir!
Step 4: Dispense
I used a funnel that fit exactly into my little tubes.
Pour the mixture slowly into your containers, tapping a bit to remove any trapped air.
If the resulting product cracks, it means you're pouring it while it's too hot - let it cool a bit and try again!
Step 5: Label and Share!
(hopefully you'll come up with something cooler than I did)
This project is so quick and easy, I know you'll love getting all your friends involved!