I've been looking for a tofu-free vegan pumpkin pie recipe, and when I came across this one by Bryanna Clark Grogan on www.vegsource.com, I knew I had to give it a try!
One thing she mentions is that it's important to make this pie the day before serving so that it has a chance to set really well.
My main complaint about this recipe is that it uses one and a half cans of pumpkin puree, so it really works better if you make two at once - or, preferably, use fresh pumpkin!
Step 1: Ingredients
- 1 1/4c. all purpose cups flour
- 1/3 c. non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening
- 3 T. cold water
- 2 c. solid-pack canned pumpkin (if you use home-cooked pumpkin, drain it for
- several hours hanging in a cloth bag, so it's thick like canned pumpkin)
- 1 c. non-dairy milk (preferably a rich soymilk)
- 3/4 c. brown sugar or Sucanat
- 1/4 c. cornstarch
- 1 T. molasses or blackstrap molasses
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. EACH ground ginger, nutmeg and salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground allspice or cloves