Step 1: Dry Ingredients
3 cups Flour
1 cup Sugar
1 cup Dark Brown Sugar (packed)
3/4 teaspoon Salt
2 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
2 teaspoons Pumpkin Pie Spice
Spices- Experiment folks. This recipe works like a charm.. but yours may be even better with an adventurous addition of Cloves or Allspice or even replacing the Pumpkin Pie Spice with Apple Pie Spice... Get out your culinary paint brush and paint.
Add chunks of apple or raisins or craisins or dried cherries or dried whatever.. just go MAD!!! I sprinkled Pecans on the top... cuz I'm cool like that...
With regards to Flour, it's up to you regarding the type. Whole Wheat flour would probably be fantastic. I happened to use All Purpose which is a standard blend of flours that offers a middle of the road gluten content and pretty predictable performance across the brand spectrum.
1. Put all of your flour into your first bowl and set it aside.
2. Put the Sugar, Dark Brown Sugar, Salt, Spices and Baking Soda into your second bowl.
3. Sift the contents of the "Sugar" bowl into your third bowl. The brown sugar may clump up a little bit.. don't worry it'll break down in the liquid just fine.
4. Put a cup of each into your sifter (depending on sifter size) and sift it all into the second bowl which you emptied in step 2.
5. Set your dry ingredients aside.