Introduction: Vegan Spiced Parsnip & Smoked Tofu Burgers!
Recipe: For 5 burgers, each 5 to 7 cm long
** For the burgers:
550 gr peeled parsnips, cut into bite sized chunks ( weighted when peeled & cut into chunks )
1 red large onion, peeled & cut into finely sliced wedges
garlic powder: 1 teaspoon ground
cumin: 1 teaspoon
red-hot curry powder, I use Sharwoods: 2 teaspoons & 2/4 teaspoon
finely milled black pepper: 15 grins
Maldon sea salt: 1 teaspoon
smoked tofu, 110 gr, well-drained & pad dry on kitchen paper, cut into thinner strips & then crosswise into bite sized chunks
Panko breadcrumbs: 50 gr!
vegan butter to fry
** For the caramelized red onions:
2 red onions, peeled & cut into fine wedges
Maldon sea salt
** For the rest:
vegan hamburger buns
veganaise ( I use home-made )
1. Cook your parsnip chunks in boiling water until cooked through. It took me 10 minutes. Drain & mash well.
2. Fry your red onion wedges in some vegan butter for 2 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon of hot curry powder & add the ground cumin too. Add sea salt & 5 grins of finely milled black pepper. Stir often. Fry until cooked through & tender. Add this to the mashed parsnips. Taste!
3. Add some vegan butter & let it melt on higher heat. Add smoked tofu strips & add 1 teaspoon of hot curry powder. Stir often. Fry until golden on all sides. Add to the mash. Taste! Add 1 teaspoon of Maldon sea salt. Mix through the mash. Taste! Add another 10 grins of finely milled black pepper. Mix with a spoon & taste again. I added an extra 2/4 teaspoons of the hot curry powder. Mix well. It was ooh so tasty. You can taste the spiced curry in your throat & you can still taste the sweeter parsnip. Add 50 gr of Panko breadcrumbs & mix well. Shape 5 patties aka burgers out of them with wet hands. Lay them onto plates & place cling film over them. Place them in the fridge to stiff up a bit for at least 4 hours.
4. Just before eating, take the plates with the burgers out of the fridge. Remove cling film. Fry them in a really hot pan on both sides in some vegan butter until golden brown on both sides. These burgers are firm in the pan but in your bun, they will soften a bit. In another pan, fry your red onions until browned & cooked through for about 10 minutes. Season with black pepper & Maldon sea salt. Set aside & keep warm.
5. Now, plate up. Grab your vegan burger buns & cut them open. Smear some veganaise on your bottom bun. Top with a juicy hot burger & top that with the fried red onions. Smear tomato ketchup on your top inside bun & close your tasty bun! Enjoy it twice! I served 2 burgers per person! Happy Times!
You can find this tasty recipe also here on my blog: http://sophiesfoodiefiles.wordpress.com/2013/11/30/vegan-spiced-parsnip-smoked-tofu-burgers/