Step 1: You'll need. . .
- large stock pot
- medium/large pot with lid
- medium pan
- large plastic bag and a rolling pin (a blender or food processor can also be used)
- medium mixing bowl
- cutting board
- large chefs knife
- wooden spoon
- half cookie sheet
- plastic wrap
- small ice cream scoop
- fine sieve or cheese cloth
- 1 box matzo crackers (or 1.5 cups matzo meal)
- 2 large eggs (substitute 12 oz of firm silken tofu to make Vegan Matzo Balls)
- .5 cup vegetable olive oil
- .5 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 1 cup each chopped carrot, celery, and onion
- 2 tablespoons each chopped fresh dill and parsley - note: if you grow your own herbs, or have left over when buying them, they can be chopped, mixed with water and put in ice cube trays. The resulting cubes can be added to dishes like this soup
- 8.5 cups vegetable stock (recipe below) - note: .5 cup of store bought soup can be substituted in the matzo balls in order to cut down preparation time
Step 2: Vegetable Stock
o 2 large carrots, chopped
o 1 parsnip, peeled and chopped
o 1 large onion, chopped
o 4 ribs of celery, chopped
o 3 cloves garlic, crushed
o 1 cup each fresh dill and parsley
o 1 tablespoon olive oil
o 1 teaspoon salt
o 9 cups water
Step 3: Making Vegetable Stock
2. Add crushed garlic, and cook an additional minute.
3. Add water, salt, and herbs. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and allow to simmer uncovered for 1.5 hours.
4. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
5. Pass through a sieve or cheese cloth to remove cooked vegetables.