Plus, I have finally learned the secret to avoiding lumpy gravy, and lumpy sauces in general. Fat first!
I first started making mushroom gravy with canida, but she's less vegetarian now, so she's only documented meaty gravy. I decided to fix the lack of vegetarian instructable when my sister called me for tips last weekend.
Step 1: Ingredients
- onions (at least one)
- mushrooms (portabella or baby bella are best)
- about 4 Tbsp butter (olive oil would probably work, but I've never tried)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sherry or marsala (other flavored liquids would work, but these have the best flavor here)
- 2 - 4 cups liquid (ideally vegetable broth)
- garlic (as much as you like)
- thyme, dried or fresh
- fresh parsley