Introduction: Vegetarian Sushi for Beginners: How to Create a Basic Sushi Roll
This is a step-by-step guide outlining the process of rolling a simple sushi dish. The following instructions are intended for those who would like to experiment with the art of rolling sushi and develop the technique to apply to more complex sushi rolls. The steps are simple, easy to use, and FUN! Sushi is a delicious, specialty dish which is often expensive. Learning the basics of rolling your own sushi will allow you to create this dish for a fraction of the price.
Creating sushi can be a great way to entertain dinner guests and is actually a fun process! Patience, attention to detail, and an appreciation for sushi are the only prerequisites for this how-to; no prior experience rolling sushi needed. The process will take approximately one hour and produce around 5 rolls, perfect for 2-3 people. Invite your friends to help for a great group activity!
Step 1: Step 1: Gather the Needed Ingredients and Materials
- 2 Cups short grain or medium grain rice
- 1/4 Cup rice vinegar
- 1 TSP Salt
- 1 Package roasted seaweed sheets
- 2 Carrots (whole)
- 1 Cucumber
- 1 Avocado
- Cream cheese (block form)
- Soy sauce (for dipping)
- Wasabi sauce (for use as a garnish
- Cooking pot for preparing rice
- Large mixing bowl
- Rolling mat (bamboo sushi mats are available at specialty stores, but a thin, flexible, plastic sheet also works well)
- Small bowl
- Sharp, non-serrated knife
- Cutting board
Step 2: Step 2: Prepare the Sticky Rice
Cook the Rice:
- Bring 4 cups of water to a boil in the cooking pot.
- Add the two cups of short or medium grain rice to boiling water.
- Keep rice at low boil, slowly reducing heat and stirring periodically.
- Remove rice from heat when all water has been absorbed by the rice.
- Transfer rice to the large mixing bowl and place into refrigerator to cool.
Add "Stick" to the Rice:
**WARNING** Rice may still be hot toward the center of the bowl. Use care to avoid burning yourself.
- Mix rice vinegar and salt in a small bowl.
- Pour mixture over rice in the large mixing bowl
- Use fingers to mix rice/vinegar mixture evenly with rice in the bowl
Step 3: Step 3: Prepare the Sushi Fillers
**WARNING** Knife will be sharp! Avoid personal injury. Also, use a cutting board to avoid damaging your counter top and dulling your knife.
- Clean and peel the carrots and cucumber.
- Slice carrots and cucumber length-ways to create long, narrow strips as shown.
- Remove avocado from skin, remove pit, and slice into narrow strips length-ways as shown.
- Remove cream cheese from packaging and slice into long, narrow strips as shown.
Step 4: Step 4: Load the Sushi Roll
- Place a seaweed sheet on the sushi roller, shiny side down.
- Spread sticky rice evenly across the seaweed sheet.
- Leave a one inch tab of seaweed exposed (with no rice) along the far edge as shown.
- Place a carrot strip, cucumber strip, cream cheese, and avocado across the rice bed as shown.
Step 5: Step 5: Roll the Sushi
- Lightly dab the exposed tab of seaweed sheet with wet fingers (This will act as a "glue" to hold the wrap together).
- Using your sushi roller, begin rolling the sushi from the near edge using firm, even pressure.
- Roll seaweed with the sushi roller until the roller would be folded into the sushi itself (You do not want the roller in your sushi).
- Allow the sushi roller to separate from the seaweed sheet as shown.
- Finish rolling the sushi forward until the seaweed sheet adheres to itself on the moistened tab at the far edge.
Step 6: Step 6: Cut the Sushi Into Pieces
**WARNING** Knife is sharp! Avoid personal injury.
- Be sure you are using a non-serrated knife (A serrated knife will tear the seaweed and make a mess of your sushi roll).
- Begin by cutting the sushi into one inch slices.
- Try to use one or two smooth downward slices per cut ("Sawing" at the sushi will also tear the seaweed and make a mess of the sushi roll).
Step 7: Step 7: Present Your Sushi!
- Garnish each piece with a bit of wasabi.
- Set out with a small dish of soy sauce for dipping the sushi in.
- Gather the chopsticks!
- Devour, Enjoy, Repeat.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.