Introduction: Ventriloquist Dummy Illusion Costume
Inspired by the RL Stine character Slappy.
Made this costume with everything we already owned w the exception of the mask. Wound up finding a George Washington mask for 3.99$ and colored the hair in with a sharpie.
Step 1: Collect Materials Needed
- man's suit [suggest suit, not separates to make more cohesive]
- mens dress shirt or turtleneck
- mask for ventriloquist
- towel to be balled up and fill mask
- bamboo sticks or similar to support head
- backpack to support vent torso and head
- overalls for child
- stuffing [batting in long socks to use for "puppet's legs"]
- child's shoes
- child's vest [must be willing to cut back]
- swimming "noodle"
- long belt or 2
Step 2: Create Puppeteer
- stuff backpack with flat cushion [I used patio cushion]. flat gives the ventriloquist a flat back as opposed to rounded.
- put men's dress shirt on backpack
- insert noodle to fill as arms
- feed belts through sleeves of shirt
- take balled up towel, insert bamboo stick[s] place mask over and poke through noodle at neck hole
Step 3: Create Dummy and Add to Ventriloquist
- shorten / hem pants [can tape up if not willing to cut / sew
- use belt to cinch "men's" pants around child's waist
- put on dress shoes [these will appear to be men's feet - so a mature style a must!]
- place overalls on child w stuffed legs and shoes already attached
- folding legs up [have child hold] wrap a belt around child and pinch bottom of stuffed legs in belt. when then flop down they will be short.
- put vest on child to hide backpack straps
- put suit jacket on vent buttoning just under the legs hiding the bel from 2 steps above
- take belts from vent arms joining via belts that were fed through arms connecting under stuffed mini legs. this will give appearance of holding the child
Step 4: Makeup
using the web to find a style of dummy makeup that I preferred. used women's makeup for the following:
- cream foundation to give smooth artificial look. a lot of this.
- liquid eye liner o create painted eyebrows, lines around eyes & lines on mouth
- blue/green shadow just applied to center of eyelids and high enough to brow to see when eyes open creating a "doe" look adding to artificial feel
- bright red lipstick sparingly applied because it stains
Step 5: Final Product Was a Hit
this costume cost $4 total. everything else we already owned. lass than 30 minutes to put together though may be slightly longer for people who haven't done many costumes before. was a huge hit with all who saw!
MelanieW12 made it!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.