Almost ready for Halloween, but you find an empty space in your yard you just can't fill? Add a foam tombstone! I'll show you how to make your very own hot wire foam cutter for cutting the shape, how to carve out the letters, and how to paint your creation!
Step 1: The HotWire Cutter
The first thing we'll make is the HotWire Cutter. You could try using a saw to cut the foam, but if you do that, you'll find yourself in a wonderland of statically charged snow. What you need is a Hotwire cutter! The one you'll make has a vertical wire and deep throat so you'll have no trouble carving even the most elaborate designs. You can vary most of the dimensions to fit your needs or preferences.
- A short (about 6" long x 1.5" x 1.5") piece of wood
- A long (about 18" long x 1.5" x 1.5")piece of wood
- A plywood base (about 1' x 2')
- Thin craft wire (24-gauge or smaller, I think)
- Electrical wire
- Rubber feet
- 2 small eyelet screws
- Power supply (mine is 12VDC, 1.2A)