With this method you can oxidize most iron objects very quickly. It can be used for art or even just for fun! It will provide a nice rusty layer on top, but be warned if left in too long it can end up rusting the container, and eating the object.
WARNING: In this instructable you will be using bleach. BLEACH CAUSES SEVERE BUT TEMPORARY EYE INJURY. MAY IRRITATE SKIN. MAY CAUSE NAUSEA & VOMIT IF INGEST. EXPOSURE TO VAPORS/MIST MAY IRRITATE NOSE, THROAT & LUNGS. Emergency/First Aid Proc: EYES: IMMEDIATELY FLUSH EYES WITH PLENTY OF REMOVE CONTAMINATED CLOTHING. WASH AREA WITH WATER FOR AT LEAST 15 MINUTES. INGEST: DRINK A GLASSFUL OF WATER AND CALL MD. INHALE: IF BREATHING PROBLEMS DEVELOP REMOVE TO FRESH AIR.
DO NOT MIX BLEACH WITH HOUSEHOLD CLEANERS, ESPECIALLY AMMONIA, AS IT CAN CREATE TOXIC/DEADLY CHLORINE GAS.
Step 1: Materials
The materials are very simple:
A container for growing rust (May not be needed as you could just pour the bleach directly on the surface, but it may dry too quickly),
An Iron object (I use nails, but you can use anything that rusts),