As I was cleaning out my shed I came across a space saving spare tire from my old pickup, that I had replaced with a full sized spare. Seeing that this tire has such a thin profile I thought it would make a good pedestal for my vise.
I made it with two different sized pipe so the height is adjustable.
Step 1: Materials
Old space saving spare tire (auto wreckers usually have tons of these)
- 22 in length of 3 ½ in OD schedule 40 pipe.
- 16 to 20 in length of 3 in OD pipe
- 2 pieces of 8 in square ¼ in thick steel plate
- 2 pieces of 12x12 x ¾ in plywood for the top and vice base.
- LockNuts, bolts and washers to fit lug holes in spare. (I used ½ x 1in)
- 4 carriage bolts, nuts and washers to attach plywood to top.
- A 6 inch long ⅜ in bolt for height locking