My goal was not to make an "audiophile" quality speaker, so if you're an audio purist, this speaker housing is probably not for you (in other words, no Monster Cable was harmed in the making of this speaker cabinet). My goal was to take a couple of average sounding, somewhat ugly pc speakers and make them somewhat vintage looking --- without breaking the bank. I think my total cost for this project was around $12, not counting the cost of the pc speakers, which I already had.
Step 1: Materials and Tools Used
- 11" round chipboard box (from a Michael's store)
- white glue
- Gorilla glue
- hot glue
- scrap piece of oak venier plywood
- scrap piece of 2x4 lumber
- wood screws
- loose woven felt with sparkly stuff imbedded in it (from a fabric store)
- black paint
- bronze spray paint
- electric drill & various bits
- scroll saw
- utility knife
- misc. hand tools (screwdrivers, etc.)
Step 2: Prepare the Round Container
I took the piece that I cut from the container and glued it inside of the container (Photo 2) for reinforcement. To do this I had to split the "hoop" I had cut off from the top, remove about 1/2 inch from its dameter so it would fit inside. I glued it in place using white glue. I probably could have omitted this step, but I hate to waste good chipboard.... The piece of wood you see in the photo is simply a temporary wedge to hold this in place while the glue dried.
Because I needed a portion of the side of the container to be even (for mounting a piece of wood reinforcement in a later step), I used a piece of chipboard cut from the lid (later step) to make this section of the side of the container even in thickness. This piece was also attached using white glue.
Step 3: Preparing the Front of the Housing
I first made a cardboard pattern of the grill, making it about a half-inch smaller than the diameter of the lid of the chipboard box (Photo 1). Next I transfered this pattern to a piece of 1/4 oak venier plywood. I needed two pieces -- one for the speaker housing grill, and one simpler, slightly larger piece to go inside the lid of the chipboard box (to give me to something solid to screw into when I mounted the grill). These two parts were cut out using a scroll saw (Photo 3). During this process I also cut out the center of the lid to exactly the same diameter as the inside diameter of the grill.
Photos 4 & 5 show the test fit of these two parts in and on the lid.
After test fitting, I glued the reinforcement piece into the lid using white glue.
Step 4: Building the Base
Step 5: The Inside Job.....
On top of this I basically made a little shelf on which the pc speakers will be mounted, carefully measuring to make sure I would have sufficient height for the speakers. Hot glue was used to fasten the shelf in place. I love hot glue....
Once the glue was set, I painted the inside and outside of the main part of the box with flat black paint. I also painted the outside part of the lid and stained and varnished the grill.
Step 6: Mounting the Base to the Box
Step 7: Make the Paint Look Old
Step 8: Install the Speakers
Step 9: Mounting the Speaker Grill
Step 10: Finished!
The most difficult part of this project was drawing and cutting out the thin, plywood grill. Of course, an Epilog laser would have simplified that task a lot!