The picture shows the prototype. Yours will be much posher - see the pdf.
Step 1: Print out the pdf
1. Print the pdf onto 160gsm card with p2 on the back
2. With a sharp knife, cut along all the dotted lines
You should now have a half page with seven sets of slots and seven strips marked with note names
3. Take the strip marked Db D D# and slide the top edge (i) into the lowest left hand slot (marked 1)
4. Turn the paper over and slide the top edge of strip D through the next slot up
5. Turn back to the front of the sheet, and slide the top edge of strip D through the next slot up (3)
6. Turn the paper over and slide the top edge of strip D through the next slot up
You should now have a kind of woven effect, with the strip showing at the top and bottom.
The strips should slide up and down and show the letter name in the window.
7. Repeat the process for the remaining strips
Now work through your music, moving the strips as you go along. Now you always know what pedal settings are current, and what notes you can use.