After a brief foray into the realm of visualizing sound through fire I decided to head in the other direction and watch vibrations propagate through some different kinds of fluids. I used water and a corn starch solution to get what I thought were some pretty cool results.
Step 1: Materials
- Speaker (That you don't intend to use again...)
- Driver for the speaker (I had one laying around but you can build your own, use a guitar amp, etc)
- Plastic lid that is about 4'' - 6'' in diameter with about a 1/2'' lip to contain the fluid
- Corn Starch
- Hot Glue Gun
- Wire strippers, electrical tape, etc.
- Clear Plastic wrap (this is optional but when using corn starch it can replace the lid and just cover the speaker for some cool results)
- Frequency generator (I just used a program called AudioTest that I downloaded to my computer)