Step 1: Why and How
Our laundry room is next to the baby's room and you have to turn off the washer and dryer when he takes a nap. So my wife asked me to think of a way to remind her that she had clothes in the washer.
Make a little device that can be turned on when the washer gets paused and will flash until turned back off reminding her to finish the laundry.
1 sheet of white 3/8 inch poster board (Michaels $5)
1 Red flashing LED (Free from halloween candy display package)
2 AA batteries w/ holder (Free from halloween candy display package)
1 on/off switch ( Pulled from old toy)
Small piece of red tissue paper
Small piece of aluminum foil
Washer with arrow image (made by my artist brother)
Step 2: Front Construction
2. Measure 6 inches down and using your exacto knife and metal ruler remove a 3/16 wide strip of foam leaving the poster board top untouched.
3. Measure 1 inch down and remove another strip of foam
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until a box is formed.
5. Now cut out the washer image and red part of the arrow.
6. Test fit the washer image and trace the inside of the arrow onto the posterboard.
7. Carefully cut out the arrow from the posterboard.
6. Double over and cut a piece of tissue paper a little bigger than the size of the arrow.
7. Glue the tissue paper and washer image to the poster board.
8. Trim any excess tissue paper.
Step 3: Inside Construction
2. Solder up and test your battery holder, on/off switch and LED setup. I can't tell you exactly how to do this step because I don't know what you are using. Take a look at my insides picture to see how I did it.
3. Hot glue the battery holder, switch and LED to the posterboard.
4. Cut a piece of aluminum foil a little bit larger than the arrow and hot glue that down to help spread out the LED light.
5. Put some hot glue in 2 of the seams of the posterboard to make it a stronger box. Don't glue it all together because you will need to open it up to change the batteries.
6. Close it up with some pins or however you want and hang it up.