Step 2: What tools will I need?
All of the tools that you will need to replace or repair your PEX water lines can be found in the image below. These tools include:
- Flashlight : So you can see what you are doing underneath the sink!
- Safety Glasses : Safety first!
- Tape Measure : For measuring the tubing that will be replaced, as well as the new replacement tubing.
- 1" PVC Pipe Cutter: Used to safely cut the PEX tubing, this PVC cutter can be purchased at your local hardware store for around $10.00. A PEX tubing cutter may also be used, both cutters provide the same results.
- One Hand PEX Cinch Clamp Tool : The cinch tool pictured below is an "Apollo" One Hand PEX Cinch Clamp Fastening Tool, Model: 69PTBJ0010C. This tool was purchased at Lowes, a local home improvement store, for around $80.00. The pictured tool has a nice LED feature that alerts the user when proper force has been applied to the cinch clamp.
Hang on, I know what you are thinking...that's a lot of money for a silly tool! I too, was a little leery of spending that kind of money. However, I have used my cinch tool to replace nearly thirty fittings in my home. It would have cost hundreds of dollars to pay a plumber to do what I was able to do for far less!