- One small (or supersize it and double the recipe!) seedless watermelon
- 1 1/2 cups dry or zesty white wine
- 1 ounce rum
- 2 ounces orange liqueur
- 2 ounces simple syrup
- 1 lime
- 1 cup soda water or seltzer (you could use tonic and skip the simple syrup!)
- If your melon is wobbly, try slicing off a very thin layer from one end so it will stand upright. Place melon in a bowl to prevent tipping and spillage. Yeah, I learned that the hard way (see picture 3).
- Cut a small hole in the top of your watermelon, large enough to accomodate your stick blender.
- Blend the watermelon into juice while scraping down the sides of the watermelon with the stick blender. This is definitely the funnest part and potentially the messiest.
- Remove 2 cups of liquid from the melon (serve this to the non-drinkers in your party, or give my Watermelon Mint Julep recipe a try!)
- Add the wine, rum, orange liqueur, simple syrup and juice from one lime.
- Stir gently.
- Place the lid back on the watermelon and refrigerate for 2-4 hours.
- Serve over ice and top with soda water. A fresh sprig of mint or slice of lime makes the perfect garnish.